I GAVE MY CHILDREN WHAT MY PARENTS COULD NOT

I was born in a poor family, 8 siblings, and life was "hand-to-mouth". If I recall my family experience, I would say each day was a challenge to keep our stomachs filled.

At 18, I gave up a chance to study at a local university. I started working as a salesman because I knew it paid high returns for if I could work harder. I worked for Olivetti selling manual and electric typewriters, themes-copiers and calculators.

I put in a lot if time and efforts to learn the products so that I could demonstrate better. Every morning I carried a manual typewriter and shouldered an electric one, from the office to my "discreet" about 2 miles away. I have to carry them because (1) it took very long to arrange a demo unit thru the office protocol, and (2) I was motivated to sell with my sweat and tears.

The next 20 years I worked harder than graduate workers because jobs for non-graduates were scarce and low with pays.

I understand the reasons I have to work this hard for extra miles. But no regret, and I cannot let this problem to happen to my children. I must ensure they get to pass the tertiary education and at least reach the fundamental standards in their career. I then paid for their education fees, even to the way to downgrade my property from larger to smaller unit; spending less, and taking reading in the libraries as hobby versus others which may cost more.

My children understood and saw the simple lifestyle that my wife and myself are having. They say they will repay after they step into employment. They made their grades one by one, and all are working now.

I told my children my past and let them know I gave them wings, but they must know the root!

I hope this conscious education essential trait will pass through the generations!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greedy Boy !! Short Story

SE LOORE -BUSOLA OKE FT KOLADE

HONESTY