The Reaper's loot (Episode 23)

The Reaper's loot (Episode 23)

She dressed up to visit her friend who had introduced her to the herbalist some years ago so she could take her to another one. She knew her Indian charms had expired due to the broken mirror. She needed some other ones to keep Nneka in check and also to ensure her husband really lost his mind. Her plans were already on the verge of getting actualized and she didn’t want anything to jeopardize that. As she stepped out into the compound, she met the gate man whom she had fired and nine other Hausa men in the compound. Ever since he left, she always left the small gate open so her husband could open the gate himself whenever he was home.
Mmesoma: “Yes? What do you filthy looking abokis looking for in my house?” she asked impatiently, looking from one angry looking man to another with boldness.
Gateman: “Na she ve that. Na she be the wicked woman wey I tell una” he said referring to a better dressed young man who looked a little more educated than the rest.
Mmesoma: “What do you mean by wicked woman? Well that is by the way. I am going out so you people should please leave in peace okay? Maybe you should come back some other time so we can talk but for now, I don’t have time” she replied and made to step by but the one known as Audu drew her back.
Audu: “My brother here told me you sent him away because he was trying to expose your secret. There is a young girl who used to live here but suddenly disappeared without walking out of the gate. Please we want to search your house, especially the upstairs where he told me he heard loud banging from that day” he replied calmly.
Gateman: “Yes…yes” he was behind himself with joy that his brother could speak correct English unlike him.
Mmesoma: “I can see you guys are behind yourselves with madness. What audacity do you have to barge into my house like some unscrupulous criminals and demand to search my house? Are you the police?”
Audu: “We are only doing this out of courtesy you know? Look at this men here, they are only waiting for me to give them a go ahead to break this door of your down after tying you into a bundle
Mmesoma: “You are only gibbering. Leave now or I’d call the police” she pointed angrily towards the gate.
Audu: “We are not leaving until we have seen who is inside that place. Please open the door now!” his sudden change of tone threw her off-balance and her boldness wavered for a splitting second.
Mmesoma: “I guess this will not do” she said, fished out her phone from her handbag and called 911.
===
Even when he got to Ibadan, he felt he needed to keep driving, he needed to go as far from home as possible. His mind was so occupied he did not see the Mercedes Benz in front of him which had stopped to let another car into the lane. He hit the car so hard from behind his windscreen shattered into the car. Other motorists went to his rescue and one of them who was a doctor at UITH volunteered to drive him down to hospital which was not so far from Iwo road where the accident had occurred at.
Doctor: “Hope you are okay Mr? Can you hear me?” he had to engage him in a conversation in order for him not to drift off. The bits of glasses stuck to his face was so gory a sight that the doctor was afraid he’d die from shock.
Charles: “My life has no meaning at all, please let me die” he murmured in agony.
Doctor: “No Mr do not give up hope. Everything happens for a reason, there might be a reason this accident happened too. We just thank God the man whose car you rammed into is alright and only his car’s tail lights was affected.
Charles: “You are a good man. Thank you. Are you married?” he asked despite the pains he was feeling.
Doctor: “Not yet sir” he replied smiling, happy the man was still in his right senses at least.
Charles: “I will advise you to thread carefully when a last you are ready to get married. Do not look at outward appearance. No amount of beauty can cloak the evil in a woman or man’s heart. Do good always, do not make a good person go through pains because for your own selfish reasons. Always man up and take responsibilities for your actions and your mistakes in life. Because no matter how much you run, they will always catch up with you. Look at me, I was trying to run from my own mistakes and here I am” his voice trailed off as he began to slip into a restless sleep.
Doctor: “I understand you sir. I will remember your words and I hope you are given a second chance to right your wrongs”
===
Surgeon: “Lady, don’t you have anyone at all who can sign this agreement for you? It is getting too late and this infection might spread to every other part of your body soon. We have to act fast” he said looking down pitifully at Angela who had finally regained her consciousness. She had been left alone without better treatment because there was no one to sign her into the hospital and so her broken leg had gotten infected.
Angela: “I told you my parents have disowned me a long time ago and changed their numbers. The only person I have is my aunty and she is in Lagos right now. And can’t you save my leg without all these unnecessary talks of yours? You want me to become a lame? God forbid, I will never sign such agreement. I have transferred all the money in my account to this hospital’s since the state has refused to pay my bills.
So treat my leg and stop talking of amputation. Isn’t that why you are a surgeon?” she was still as bitter as she was before the accident and the fact that policemen were outside waiting for her to recuperate so they could take her in unnerved her more than amputating her leg did. She needed those legs to run away from the law as fast as they’d be able to carry her.
Surgeon: “This is not helping at all. I told you it has been infected” he shot back at her. “I wonder how an injury could get that easily infected though. Maybe the evil she has been doing has finally caught up with her” he thought before walking out of to talk to the policemen who gave him a go ahead to amputate the leg aftrall she was already under arrest for attempted murder.
===
She was finally connected to a police officer after so much manoeuvrings. Few minutes later, a police van skidded to a halt in front of the gate and two police officers stepped into the compound looking as grim as the grim reaper when they sighted the men against only one lady. They conked their guns and pointed it at the men daring them to take even one step forward. Some of the men moved back a little while Audu and the gate man stayed put.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greedy Boy !! Short Story

SE LOORE -BUSOLA OKE FT KOLADE

HONESTY