(Episode 6) The Marriage Battle … A Scratchy Story!


Papa: I think he is an Engineer and he  does other businesses too.

Emenike: Good, that is good. What other businesses does he do?

Papa: I have no idea, I didn’t really ask until he comes.

Emenike: is he rich?

Papa: Bia Emenike, what kind of question is that? it is your type that goes around spoiling the image of the igbos. How can you ask me that question?

Emenike: and what is wrong with me asking you if the man our daughter wants to marry is rich?

Papa: why didn’t you ask me if she is really happy about her decision?

Emenike: Why do I need to ask you that? of course she is happy because if she isn’t, she won’t tell you anything about it. Is he rich?

Papa: I do not know and I don’t care if he is., all I know is that if my daughter is happy with him and his financial status, fine by me.

Emenike: Hmmm okay, when he comes, let me know sha for I will find out on my own.

Papa: Bia Emenike, do not do what you did to chinenye’s husband when  he came to ask for your daughter’s hand in marriage oooo, I won’t accept it if you try doing it on my daughter.

Emenike: What did I do?

Papa: You sucked the man dry simply because of bride price. Were you selling your daughter away?

Emenike: She is my daughter and I know that I won’t really be having whatever I want that was why it was like that.

Papa: you have done your own with your daughter; don’t carry that method to my side, she is my daughter and not yours.

Emenike: Ehen, so now she is your daughter? As if you didn’t get anything from the money that Chinenye’s husband  gave to us.

Papa: I have told you oooo, I will not tolerate that behavior.

==

Adaobi: Here, Mami, dinner is served.

Mami: Where is it?

Adaobi: In the dining room.

Mami: stood and went to the dining to have her dinner while Kemi followed behind.

Kemi: ‘you prepared vegetable soup’ she asked as soon as she opened the plate in front of  her and ‘and eba?’

Adaobi: Yes I did and I hope you will enjoy it.

Kemi: I pray oooo.

Mami: tasted the meal and was amazed for it was so delicious.

Adaobi: How is it Mami?

Mami: it’s okay, you tried.

Adaobi: Thank you.

Mami: have a seat and join us ‘you have to eat oooo’.

Adaobi: Okay and she sat down to eat. When they were all done with the food, she carried the plates to the kitchen and washed them. After that, she joined them in the sitting room where they were watching a movie on African Magic and watched with them also.

Mami: Adaobi, Kemi will show you the guest room where you will pass the night.

Adaobi: Okay Ma.

Mami: Did you come with any clothes?

Adaobi: No I didn’t for I didn’t know you will want me to spend the night here.

Mami: Kemi will give you hers for you to use tonight, Sorry for the impromptu stay.

Adaobi: No problem.

Mami bid them goodnight and told Kemi what to do. They stayed up for a few hours before Adaobi told Kemi to show her to her room and she did, gave her clothes to change to and bid her goodnight.



The following morning, Adaobi woke up very early in the morning to clean the house and went she was done, she had her bath and made breakfast for them.

Adaobi: Good morning Mami.

Mami: how was your night, hope you slept well?

Adaobi: I did Mami.

Mami: I can see my house is looking so clean, thanks for your effort.

Adaobi: your welcome.

Mami: Where is my daughter?

Adaobi: I don’t know, I haven’t seen her, she should probably be in her room sleeping.

Mami: Alright.

Adaobi: Wont you go to church today?

Mami: No not today. I am really tired.

Adaobi: Alright.

Mami: What about you?

Adaobi: I wont for I didn’t come with any clothes except this one.

Mami: Have you had your bath?

Adaobi: Yes I did, I was also able to wash the clothes Kemi gave me last night.

Mami: Good, that’s very good. You know that I also have some clothes to wash right?

Adaobi: Really?

Mami: Yes.

Adaobi: Is the washing machine not working?

Mami: No it isn’t, it broke down three days ago and the person to repair it isn’t here yet. Maybe during the week haybe during the week he will make himself available.

Adaobi: okay, you can bring them and I will wash them for you.

Mami: You will?

Adaobi: Yes Mami, I will.

Question: Any advice for Adaobi?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greedy Boy !! Short Story

SE LOORE -BUSOLA OKE FT KOLADE

HONESTY