(EPISODE 15) DEEP SEA OF SECRETS

On the day of the meeting, they all gathered at the Igwe’s palace, the Chief Priest was in attendance too.



First Elder:  Igwe, like we discussed earlier about the problem on ground, we are all here to proclaim the verdict on what should be done.

Igwe: Nodding his head and turning to Chinwedum “Since you have not been in attendance and you are here today, are you the real father of Nnamdi?”

Chinwedum: Yes Igwe, he is my son.

Igwe: In that case, Chief Priest what do you have to say about Ifeoma’s case?

Chief Priest: Abomination is what you committed, in other to appease the gods and cleanse yourself and household,  Ifeoma you will have to walk naked from your house to the village square on the market day three times.

Mama Ifeoma: She has to do all these even when she is no longer interested in the marriage?

Chief Priest: I have not finished my verdict woman!

Mama Ifeoma: Sorry, please continue.

Chief Priest: All these will have to be done; you will also provide 2 black goats and 3 white cocks which will be presented to the gods of our land for the cleansing.

Igwe: Is that all she will present if she is going for the cleansing?

Chief Priest: Yes my king.He said with head bowed “….except…”

Igwe: Except what?

Chief Priest: Except if she is no longer interested in remaining married to Nnamdi, the bride price should be returned immediately and there will be no need for cleansing.

Igwe: Ifeoma!

Ifeoma: Yes my king?

Igwe: Do you want to remain married to Nnamdi?

Ifeoma: No, my king.

Igwe: Are you sure?

Ifeoma: Yes my king.

Igwe: Nnamdi, what do you have to say?

Nnamdi: My king I would love to have my wife back but since she has made up her mind, then I have nothing else to say or do….

Igwe: In that case, two people have to agree and since both of you don’t agree and have decided to go your separate ways the marriage will have to be dissolved. In two weeks time Ifeoma, make sure your people return
Let her go in peace because already, she will live with the consequences of her action. Have I spoken like the true son of the soil my chief priest?

High Priest: You have spoken the words of our gods my son.

Second Elder: What about Obi that slept with his brother’s wife while his brother is still alive?

High Priest: Only the gods know why they allow such things to happen for we cannot question the ways of the gods, they are all free to go.

Mama Ifeoma: Maybe the sins of the parents are visiting their children.

High Priest: The gods knoweth and only them answereth.”



After the meeting, everyone having gone to their various homes, Obi stayed behind to have a talk with Ifeoma who was still waiting for the mother to finish having her discussion with the Igwe.



Obi: I guess this is it
 He said to Ifeoma.

Ifeoma: Yes, this is it. When will you be leaving to the states?

Obi: In three days time.

Ifeoma: Have a safe trip then.

Obi: Thank you.

Ifeoma: When will you be coming back to Nigeria again?

Obi: I don’t know but not anytime soon as there is nothing bringing me back home except of course if it is urgent.

Ifeoma: Hmmm. I am sorry that things turned out this way.

Obi: It’s not your fault…. He said, smiling “…..remember I told you that I will tell you who the woman I am in love with is when all this come to an end?”

Ifeoma: Yes you did….. Who is she?

Obi: A woman I know I can never have and that woman is you.

Ifeoma: Oh,Obi...

Obi: He interrupted “I know, you don’t have to say anything and I can understand everything well. I know what your decision will be. I just want you to have a good life and take care of our children. If you need anything, let me know and I will be ever ready to be there to help. Don’t hesitate, I repeat, never hesitate.”

Ifeoma: I won’t, I promise.

Obi: Goodbye Ifeoma.

Ifeoma: Good bye Obi.

The end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greedy Boy !! Short Story

SE LOORE -BUSOLA OKE FT KOLADE

HONESTY